Thursday, February 02, 2006

...and then

I was hoping that I could come up with something more interesting than mosquito borne viruses but then...


...The local papers are having a whale of a time; man dies of heart attack and it is because of the Chik (hence the mossie, hence the fault of the doctor etc... these ellipsis could go on for a long time) This morning baby develops burns because she is given an anti-inflammatory coz she has chikungunya - who is too blame? Well, everyone it seems...

I was hoping that my apocalytic scenario of insecticide induced fatalities was something of a childish rant but this morning the "Quotidien" reports that the chameleon population is being decimated by the wanton use of highly toxic pesticides. This paper doesn't have a website so you'll just have to believe me (or not). The journal does have a website, unfortunately ;-) Today, I learnt that birds are dying all over the place - martyrs for the cause against the nihilistic mosquito.

I also learnt that the military are going back to school to learn how to defeat the enemy...



...look, is it just me or is all this getting silly? Those big boots should crush a few rebellious mossies...

I am told that above all the health of the human population is paramount. These sorts of ridiculous phrases are only uttered by those Cartesian Connards who believe that the human race is removed, and therefore untouched, by Nature. Would somebody please wake up to the fact that wiping out the insect population of an island (next time it'll be a planet) is not the first step on the road to harmonious and sustainable development. Nature, of course, will find a way and it is pleasing to note the comments of an aging islander that two days after the passage of the "mosquito commando" (I kid you not!) the mosquitos had returned, alas not much was said about the bees, ladybirds and other "cuddly" insects on which we all depend for a little equilibrium.

Whilst I have still yet to succumb to the blight, I wonder whether the fact that I am undergoing a giant spider invasion has anything to do with it?



...have fun.

No comments:

hot rock mantis